Chapel of Val-de-Grace
Val-de-Grâce is a former abbey and nowadays a military hospital. The church was completed in 1667 and designed by François Mansart and Jacques Lemercier. It is probably the finest example of baroque architecture in Paris.
Since the Benedictine nuns provided medical care for injured revolutionaries during the French Revolution, the church was not badly damaged during the revolution. The old abbey alongside the church is now a museum of French army medicine.
The organ was built by Aristide Cavaillé-Coll in 1853, for the church of Sainte-Geneviève, which became the Pantheon in 1885. The organ was then transferred to the Val-de-Grâce by Merklin. The last time it was heard in the Pantheon was probably at funeral of Victor Hugo.
In 1927, maintenance was carried out by Paul-Marie Koenig. It was restored by François Delangue and Bernard Hurvy in 1933.
The organ of Val-de-Grâce is one the rare authentic organs of Cavaillé-Coll in Paris and sounds beautiful, empowered by the beautiful acoustics of the church itself.
|Main builder||History||Latest restauration|
|1853 - Aristide Cavaillé-Coll||
1927 Paul-Marie Koenig
|1993 François Delangue and Bernard Hurvy|
II/22 - Mechanical traction
Titulaire: Hervé Désarbre
Suppléant: Yannick Merlin
Famous organists in the past: Clément Loret (1833-1909)
Concerts: each first sunday of every month, 5.30 PM
Masses with organ: sunday 11 AM