Chapelle de la Fondation Eugène-Napoléon
On January 26, 1853, the Municipal Commission of Paris vote a sum of 600 000 francs gold for the acquisition of a diamond necklace intended for the Empress Eugenie, wife of Napoleon III. But the Empress refused the necklace, wishing that this money would be used to create an establishment of free education for poor girls. The architect Hittorff gave the buildings the form of a necklace. The inauguration was on December 28, 1856. The buildings still house the work of the Empress.
The institution received the name of "House Eugene Napoleon", in honor of the young Prince, Louis-Eugène, born the year of the inauguration, who was killed in southern Africa in 1879. At first, the work was entrusted to the sisters of the charity of Saint-Vincent de Paul, who educated and equiped poor and orphan girls. In 1974, the institution took the status of "Eugène Napoléon Foundation". The sisters retired in 1976. The Foundation continues today, with modern means, the social educational work as desired by the Empress Eugénie in 1853.
The organ was built by Cavaillé-Coll in 1857 and is still in its original state, thus being a really exceptional witness of the work of Cavaillé-Coll in those years.
It was last heard in 1946 and has been neglected since then and it is completely unplayable.
|Main builder||History||Latest restauration|
|1857 - Aristide Cavaillé-Coll||
II/14 - Mechanical traction