Jean-Baptiste Stoltz was born in 1813 in Bouzonville, Moselle and learned his craft from John Abbey. He became foreman at Daublaine and Callinet, residing at this workshop for ten years. In 1845 the Daublaine-Callinet company was bought by Ducroquet, who appointed Baker as foreman. Stolz resigned and started his own workshop in Paris, 33, avenue de Saxe, in 1852 (Stoltz et Schaff, from 1865 onwards Stolz). Despite the strong competition from Cavaillé-Coll, Stoltz gradually conquered a considerable prestige. On his death in 1874 two of sons, Eugene and Edouard H(hs third son, Jules-Albert, became a famus organist) founded a company under the name of Stoltz Frères (brothers) and subsequently built a hundred organs in France, and a more restricted number in other countries, including Spain, the United Kingdom, Cuba, Peru, Greece, Philippines and Syria.
A relatively good preserved instrument of the brothers Stoltz is located in Bergara, Iglesia San Pedro.
In Paris, there are only a few organs built by the brothers Stoltz:
Saint Joseph des Nations (1874)
Sainte Marguerite (1875) (great organ and the choir organ),
Saint-Pierre-de-Montrouge (1868, choir organ)
In addition, Stoltz worked on two organs of other organ builders:
Saint-Médard (1880, organ by Clicquot, 1767)
Notre-dame-de-Lorette (1881, organ by Cavaillé-Coll, 1837)
St Germain-des-Prés (reconstruction)