Chapelle l'hôpital Salpêtrière
The hospital ''Hôpital de la Pitié-Salpêtrière was founded on the site of a gunpowder factory by Louis XIV. Its chapel was built around 1675 and designed by Libéral Bruand, architect of Les Invalides. It was built on the model of a Greek cross and features an octagonal dome in the centre and four central chapels each capable of holding a congregation of some 1,000 people.
The initial builder is unknown, but an inscription on an old pipe indicates this organ was built by one of the co-workers of Deslandes in 1709-10. The organ is probably extended at the end of the 18th century. In 1861, a comprehensive reconstruction was carried out by Antoine Suret, adding a positive (which remained empty, built only to hide the console) and a récit expressif. In 1977, Ets Muller reconstructed and extended the organ in a French classical style, adding pipes to the positive and transforming récit expressif into a récit in French baroque style.
9 out of the 31 stops date from before the revolution and 7 from Suret. Mechanical transmission.
Athough this organ is more or less new with the older elements incorporated in the new concept, it is nevertheless the only instrument in Paris in French classical style that is in good order.
|Main builder||History||Latest restauration|
|Beginning of the 18th century, unknown builder||
End 18th century - unknown builder
1861 - Suret (positive)
III/33 - Mechanical traction
Titulaire: Jacques Pichard
Masses with organ: ?
AUDIO: Not available