Saint-Gervais - Saint-Protais

The Church

St-Gervais-St-Protais is one of the oldest places of worship in Paris (6th century) and among the first parochial churches of 'la rive droite'. It is named for brothers and Roman officers who were martyred by Nero. The present church was built in the 16-17th century, in Flamboyant Gothic style, with other styles superimposed. Its frontage was completed in 1620 (first example of the classical style in Paris). Today St-Gervais-St-Protais is the house of the Monastic and Lay Communities of Jerusalem.
It sheltered the famous dynasty of the Couperin family, for more than two centuries, beginning in 1653. On one side of the church, the house of the Couperins still stands; a plaque commemorates the Couperins' tenure in this place.

The organ

The organ was built by Francois-Henri Clicquot, using parts of the former organ.
Most of the 41 stops are old (17 from the 17th century, 15 from the 18th century, including all reeds, only five stops are reconstructed in 1974). All wind-chests date from before the revolution.

Main builder History Latest restauration
1768 Francois-Henri Clicquot 1601- Mathieu Langhedul
1628 - Pierre Pescheur
1659 - Pierre Thierry
1676 - 1685 - Alexandre Thierry
1714 - François Thierry
1758 - 68 - Louis Bessart
1766 - 69 - 1780 - François-Henri Clicquot
1812 - Pierre-François Dallery
1843 - Louis-Paul Dallery
1923 - Louis Béasse
1974 - Gonzalez
2000 - Muhleisen
1974 - Gonzalez

V/41 - Mechanical traction

: Aude Heurtematte, Olivier Trachier, Jean-Baptiste Courtois
Famous organists in the past: Couperin family (1653-1826)

Concerts: each first saturday of the month (except summer), 16.00.
Masses with organ: saturday 18.30 sunday 11.00

Specific links: History of the organ

Messe à St Gervais: Communion

Messe à St Gervais: Sortie