This organ has a long history. It was built for the Collégiale Saint-Benoît-le-Bétourné and transported to Saint-Jacques-du-Haut-Pas by Claude-Francois Clicquot in 1792. Its case contains parts of the original organ built by Jean Langhedul (1587). Therefore, this organ has the oldest still visible case-parts of all organs in Paris! The positif goes back to 1640 and the main concept of the GO to 1655. The extension of the GO dates from 1792. The instrument was reconstructed in 1887 by Merklin, with one console for both the GO and the choirorgan (!).
In 1971, Alfred Kern built a new instrument in the French classical style (with the organ of the Saint-Séverin finished in 1964 as example) in a reconstructed organcase, re-using some of the old stops (3 stops are from before the revolution, 11 stops from Merklin).
Saint-Jacques-du-Haut-Pas was built in the period 1630-1684. The portal is built in classical style, the tower and buttresses are more gothic in appearance.
|Main builder||History||Latest restauration|
|1971 - Alfred Kern||
1587 - Jean Langhedul
1640 - Matthias Langhedul
1655 - Jolly-Cauchois
1673 - Thierry
1687 - Ducastel-Bessart
1784 - FH Clicquot
1793 - Claude-Francois Clicquot
1887 - Merklin
1906 - Gutschenritter
1971/87 - Kern
IV/47 - Mechanical traction
Titulaire: Nicolas Gorenstein
Famous organists in the past: -
Masses with organ: saturday 18.15, sunday 10.00
Nicolas Gorenstein - Jean-Jacques Beauvarlet-Charpentier: grand choeur (Erato 2292-45867-2 1992)
Specific links: -