Saint-Thomas-d'Aquin was built in 1683 as a Dominicanical Chapel named Saint Dominique. It became a parochial church in 1791 as Saint-Thomas-d'Aquin. Its style is classical, inspired by Italian baroque, as are Saint Joseph des Carmes, Notre Dame des Victoires et Saint Roch. The façade dates to 1766.
The organcase was made by François-Charles Butteaux in 1769 and the instrument by François-Henri Clicquot. In 1795 it was moved to the Panthéon. Seven years later it was returned again to Saint-Thomas-d'Aquin by Pierre-Francois Dallery. In 1861, Cavaillé-Coll rebuilt the organ, removing the positif and almost all stops of Clicquot (only the Grand Cornet, Cromorne and (?) the Solo-Nazard were kept). In 1971 Kurt Schwenkedel completed a reconstruction of the old instrument in a German neo-classical style, with restitution of the positif. From Cavaillé-Coll, only the voix humaine survived. In 1994-97, maintenance-works were carried out by Mülheisen.
This organ is an example of an organ in neo-classical style, favouring in particular Nordic baroque music. It is less convincing than the instruments of Alfred Kern dating to the same period.
|Main builder||History||Latest restauration|
|1971 - Schwenkedel||
1771 - Clicquot
1802 - Dallery
1842 - Dallery
1861 - Cavaillé-Coll
1912 - Gutschenritter
1992 - Hédelin
1997 - Mühleisen
IV/49 - Mechanical traction
Titulaires: Arsène Bedois, J.M. Leblanc
Famous organists in the past: Alexis Chauvet
Masses with organ: saturday 18.30 h, sunday 11.00 h
AUDIO: Arsène Bedois - Giles Jullien: Dialogue (Erato 2292-45867-2 1992)
Specific links: History of the church and the organ