Saint-Germain-de-l'Auxerrois was the former parish of the kings of France. It was founded in the 7th century and rebuilt several times, giving mixtures of several styles (Roman, Gothic and Renaissance). During the Wars of Religion, the souding of its bell marked the beginning of the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre, when thousands of Huguenots were murdered. The north tower was added in 1860 and is actually part of the Mairie of the 1st Arrondissement.
The organ was built by Francois-Henri Clicquot for the Sainte-Chapelle, using the case of Lavergne, designed by Pierre-Noël Rousset (1757). It was transferred to Saint-Germain-de-l'Auxerrois in 1791 and parts of at least two other instruments were incorporated in the newly assembled organ at that time. In the 19th century, the diapasons were transformed by Dallery, Ducroquet (under the influence of Boëly) and Merklin, but the grand jeu was kept intact. Indeed, most reeds date form before the revolution , although the cromorne of the positive was added some 30 years ago (replacing a historic reed). At that time, a new tierce was added too (replacing the Salicional 4 of Ducroquet).
In the period 1995-2005 is was completely out of order, but in 2005-2008 works have been carried out without any change in the historic materials to put the organ in duty again. A study by Christian Lutz should form the basis for choosing a strategy for a thorough restauration of this instrument.
21 out of the 33 stops date from before the revolution. Mechanical transmission with Barker at the GO.
|Main builder||History||Latest restauration|
1771 - Francois-Henri Clicquot
1864 - Merklin
1792 - F.H. Clicquot
1809/1823/1841 - F. Dallery
1848 - Ducroquet
1864 - Merklin
1900 - Gutschenritter
1970-80 - Adrien Maciet
2005 - Michel Goussu
2008 - Laurent Plet
III/41 - Mechanical traction
Titulaire: Henri de Rohan-Csermak
Famous organists in the past: Louis-Claude Daquin (around 1738), Alexandre Boëly (1840-1851)
Masses with organ: saturday 18.30, sunday 9.30, 11.30
AUDIO: Not available
Specific links: History of the organ