Saint Louis de Versailles
The church was built between 1743 and 1754. The architect was Jacques Hardouin-Mansart de Sagonne (1711-1778), a grandson of the famous architect Jules Hardouin-Mansart. In 1764 Louis-François Trouard added the Chapelle de la Providence (now the Chapelle des Catéchismes) to the northern transept. In a graceful baroque style, it also preserves a lovely collection of period paintings. It served at first simply as the Saint Louis district parish. It became a cathedral in 1848.
The organ was built by François-Henri Clicquot in 1759-1761 (45 stops and 4 manuals and a pedal with a 'grand ravalement').
1829: Maintenance by Louis-Paul Dallery (addition of a Bombarde at the GO).
1840: Maintenance by John Abbey (new wind supply).
1863: Renovation by Aristide Cavaillé-Coll: deletion of the fourth manual, addition of a Swell with 8 stops, replacement of several mutations and mixtures by 'symphonic' stops on the other manuals (a Gambe and an Unda Maris on the Positif, a Gambe and a Salicional on GO), a Barker machine for the GO, several 'pédales de combinaisons', extention of winchests from 50 to 54 notes for each manual and renovation of the wind supply applying various pressures.
In the first half of the XXth century, works were carried out by Mutin, Bossier and Costa-Duval.
In 1961, a restoration was performed by Beuchet-Debierre: extension of manuals to 56 notes, installation of a new 30-note pedalboard, repositioning of the swell pedal, using a toespoon, from the extreme right to the middle of the console. On the Grand-Orgue, a poor Quinte, not from Clicquot nor from Cavaillé-Coll, was replaced by a new one, and a 4' Flûte replaced the second 4' Prestant (which was relocated on the Swell). On the Positif. Gambe and Unda Maris stops were replaced by a 4' Flûte douce and a 1 3/5' Tierce, and a 1 1/3' Larigot was added. An additional winchest was built for the Swell to house the following stops: 8' Principal, 4' Prestant, 2' Doublette, and Plein-Jeu.
In 1987 a thorough restauration was carried out by Théo Haerpfer (Manufacture Lorraine de Grandes Orgues), restoring the creation of Cavaillé-Coll in 1863.
|Main builder||History||Latest restauration|
|1761 - François-Henri Clicquot||
1829 - Louis-Paul Dallery
1840 - John Abbey
1863 - Aristide Cavaillé-Coll
1961 - Beuchet-Debierre
|1987 - Théo Haerpfer|
III/46 - Mechanical traction, Barker GO
Titulaire: Jean-Pierre Millioud
Co-titulaire: Christian Ott
Masses with organ: sunday 11 AM