Saint-Sulpice is one of the largest churches in Paris, only slightly smaller than Notre-Dame. The church was founded in 1646 and not completed until 1745. The classicising façade in Italian style (1732) was designed by Giovanni Niccolò Servandoni. The south tower was never completed (due the the revolution).
The organ of Saint-Sulpice was built in 1781 by Francois-Henri Clicquot. The case was designed by Chalgrin, the architect of the church itself. In 1834-1846 the organ was reconstructed by Callinet/Daublaine-Callinet/Ducroquet, 46 of the 64 Clicquot stops were reused.
In 1862 Aristide Cavaillé-Coll built a new organ, using much of the work of Clicquot (approximatley 50 stops of Clicquot were (re)used competely or partly). After 1973, the Plein Jeu of the postif and the Fourniture of the Grand Choeur were altered, but these alterations were undone by Renaud in 1991 during a comprehensive restauration of the instrument. This organ is almost completely authentic Cavaillé-Coll and one of the few larger organs of this builder that is NOT electrified! It is a magnificant instrument, in a church with very good acoustiscs. Although it lacks the ultrapower of the organ of the Notre-Dame-de-Paris, it is certainly one of the most beautifullorgans of the world, very colourfulland also very poetic.
|Main builder||History||Latest restauration|
|1862 - Cavaillé-Coll||
1781 - François-Henri Clicquot
1846 - Daublaine-Callinet
1862 - Cavaillé-Coll
1903 - Mutin
1934 - Société Pleyel Cavaillé-Coll
1991 - Renaud
2000 - Swiderski
|1991 - Renaud|
V/102 - Mechanical traction
Titulaires: Daniel Roth and Sophie-Véronique Cauchefer-Choplin
Famous organists in the past:
NGuillaume-Gabriel Nivers (ca. 1651 - 1702)
J.B. Totin (1702 - ca. 1714)
Louis-Nicolas Clérambault (1715-1749)
César François Clérambault (1749 - 1760)
Evrard Dominique Clérambault (1761 - 1773)
Claude Etienne Luce (1771 assistant to Evrard Dominique Clérambault; titulaire 1773 - 1783)
Nicolas Séjan (1783 - 1819)
Louis Nicolas Séjan (1819 - 1849)
Georges Schmitt (1850 - 1863)
Louis-James-Alfred Lefebure-Wely (1863 - 1869)
Charles-Marie Widor (1870 - 1934)
Marcel Dupré (1934 - 1971)
Jean-Jacques Grunenwald (1973 - 1982)
Masses with organ: sunday 11AM, 6h45PM
Every sunday, there is a organ-prelude from 10.45-11.00
In addition, there is always an 'audition' from 12.00 - 12.35 given by the titularies. A fantastic tradition!!
In the past, the public was invited after the audition to join the organist at the tribune for a 'sightseeing'. However, this tradition has been suspended due to 'security'-reasons.
Specific links: History of the church and the organ and many videorecordings