The Hotel des Invalides was completed in 1676 and housed up to 4,000 war veterans. Originally only a number of barracks were planned to accomodate injured soldiers, but king Louis XIV chose a design by architect Liberal Bruant which consisted of a large impressive building with a royal courtyard and church.
The church Saint-Louis was added as an annex to the complex. It was built by Jules Hardouin Mansart after the design by Libéral Bruant, the architect of the Hôtel des Invalides. The church was known as the pensioners' Choir but later referred to as the Soldiers' church. Soldiers were required to attend the daily mass here. The church is connected directly with the Royal chapel, better known as the Dôme des Invalides, separated by a glass wall. The 107-metre high dome o the Royal chapel was completed in 1690, the chapel itself in 1735.
The design of the magnificent organcase (the only representative of the Louis-XIV era) is attributed to Jules Hardouin-Mansart. Positif and Grand-Orgue are superimposed instead of being seperated by the console. The instrument was built by Alexandre Thierry (1687). Major revisions were carried out by Charles Gadault in 1853 and Beuchet-Debierre in 1955-1957. Eleven stops dates from before the revolution (Thierry, 1687); about fifteen stops date from Gadault, mainly reeds and flutes in the Pedal; all the other stops are from Beuchet-Debierre. In 2012, Dagassies completed comprehensive maintenance and restoration works.
|Main builder||History||Latest restauration|
|1687 - Alexandre Thierry||
1687 - Alexandre Thierry
1693 - Julien Tribuot
1761 - Francois-Henri Clicquot
1806 - Jean Somer
1853 - Charles Gadault
1957/1962/1979 - Beuchet-Debierre
2009-2012 - Dargassies
|2009-2012 - Dargassies|
III/65 - Electrical traction
Titulaires: Susan Landale, Philippe Brandeis et Eric Ampeau
Famous organists in the past: Nicolas Sejan, Théodore Dubois.
Masses with organ: occasionaly (special events)
Specific links: -